Our Voice

10967822_626247474188327_790136628_n

Around May last year, the Houston Independent School District launched an incredible, census-like survey of 163,000 students and parents across Houston. It is the most comprehensive research the district has ever conducted on student voice.

I remember taking it myself, bubbling in my thoughts about my school, my teachers, and my peers. It asks constructive, important questions that are relevant to students, such as “Thinking about all your experiences at your school, how likely are you to recommend your school to others?” or “Do adults that work at my school care about me as an individual?”

The results give an important glimpse into what we students think. For that reason, we’ve decided to publish the data on our website in an easy-to-use Google spreadsheet. Our software allows you to compare schools, check out averages, and see how certain schools are performing. HISD has all this data for public access here; all we’re doing is presenting it in a simple, lucid format.

As of now, we have only compiled the data for high schools, but we’re working on the rest right now. We’ll periodically update the spreadsheets to add more information as well. I would like to thank the Internal Analysts of the Governance Committee, Jeremiah Pratt (HSPVA ‘15), Yeannet Ruiz (Barbara Jordan ‘15) and Phillip Shen (HSPVA ‘17) for compiling our statistics. I would also like to thank the Social Media Managers of the Outreach Committee, Andrea Jamie (LECJ ‘16), and Taysia Demesa (HSPVA ‘16), and the Outreach Chair, Amy Fan (Bellaire ‘16), for making this effort possible.

We hope the entire Houston community of business, labor, civic leaders, parents, educators, school boards, and students will find this data useful. We certainly will.

We invite you see the data here. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

Zaakir Tameez
(281) 919-6688
speaker@hisdstudentcongress.org
Speaker of the Congress

Advertisements