Earlier today we had an Advocacy Committee Leadership Meeting.
It was between the cabinet -and Advocacy Committee, where we brought everyone up to date on what’s going on.
For example, we’re:
- Creating a teacher advisory council and a school chapter system. To mobilize the students.
- Negotiating with the board and Dr. Grier’s staff for having private meetings with HISD’s administration once a month. To get stuff done.
- Helping to produce TEDxHISD and having students give TED Talks. To be permanently on the internet.
- Proposing an idea of having a Student Congress Radio on KPFT. To get our voice on the airwaves.
- Planning a trip to Austin during the legislative session.
All these things are going to happen, and we’re working on it as we speak. Ericka Mellon from the Chronicle was also there – she asked to come to a December meting so we invited her to this one. Her article will be out soon!
- Zaakir Tameez, Speaker of the Congress, (Carnegie ’15)
- Jamie Russell, Advocacy Committee Chair (Madison ’15)
- Raquel Douglas, Governance Committee Chair (Carnegie ’15)
- Jesus Solano, Finance Committee Chair (Carnegie ’15)
- Demetron Dotson, Advocacy Committee Sergeant at Arms (Austin ’17)
- Aviance Obie, Agenda Committee Member (Westbury ’16)
- Jessica DeBoe, Outreach Committee Blog Squad, (HSPVA ’17)
- David Valerio, Chief Administrative Officer (Carnegie ’15)
- Andrea Jamie, Outreach Committee Blog Squad Email & Instagram Manager (LECJ ’16)